The MinE-CAP™ IC dramatically shrinks the size of input bulk capacitors without compromising output ripple, operating efficiency or requiring redesign of the transformer. When compared to traditional techniques such as very high switching frequency operation, MinE-CAP achieves the same or greater overall power supply size reduction whilst avoiding the challenges of complex EMI filtering and the increased transformer/clamp dissipation associated with very high frequency designs.
MinE-CAP also precisely manages inrush current at AC turn-on, eliminating the need for dissipative NTCs or large slow-blow fuses.
MinE-CAP can also be used in applications requiring extended wide-range input (90 VAC to 350+VAC), again with a high percentage of the input capacitance 160 V rated along with either stacked 400 V or 500-600 V rated capacitors of much smaller value than would normally be required.
The input E-CAPs are arranged with a small high-voltage capacitor (CHV typically 400 V) in parallel with a low-voltage capacitor (CLV typically 160 V) connected in series with the MinE-CAP IC. The physical size of the input capacitors is minimized because a high percentage of the input capacitance is 160 V rated rather than 400 V as would normally be used in conventional universal input converters.
- Up to 50% volume reduction of input bulk capacitors (E-CAPs)
- Eliminates inrush NTC
- Significantly reduces i2t stress on the input bridge rectifier and fuse
- Partners with the InnoSwitch™ IC family for lowest component count ultra-compact AC/DC converters
Advanced Protection / Safety Features
- Integrated temperature sensing and hysteretic thermal shutdown
- Input surge protection
- Pin open/short-circuit and E-CAP UV/OV fault reporting