Solution Finder Get Tech Support

PI Expert for designing my own Power Supply using LinkSwitch-XT2 (LNK6448K)

Posted by: imranahmed on

Please let me know that the circuit build by PI Expert Software is reliable or needs some modifications.

And I want to make 5V 2A 10W Power Supply for my Energy Meter but first check on PI Expert Software?

Comments

Submitted by imranahmed on 11/08/2019

Anybody here from Power Integration?

Submitted by PI-Yoda on 11/08/2019

Hi, Imrnahmed,

Please use LinkSwitch-3 Flyback. It is only available in PIXLS. Select LNK64x8K and no cable compensation.
Than use the dark fields to enter your input parameters (spec) where they are different from the default one. On the end of the design check for error/warning/info messages and address the issues as per the help provided.
As a result, the component values and circuit parameters will be calculated and displayed.

Reliability could be calculated separately via MTBF and failure rate. It is mostly function of component parameters, frequency and temperature.

Regards,

Submitted by imranahmed on 11/09/2019

Dear PI-Yoda

Thank you for reply.

I am using PI Expert 10.2, in this, there is no option for Link Switch-3 Flyback in this software but option available in PIXI`s.Can you recommend me PI Expert software for LNK6448K deivce schematic maker.

Please find attachment.

Regards,
Imran

Attachment Size
PI.png 160.88 KB
Submitted by imranahmed on 11/09/2019

Dear PI-Yoda,

I copied the data found in DER-403 document in PIXls and analyse that 99.95% values are matched but there is common issue INFO occur in both DER-403 and PIXls in KP Row.

How to fix it or it is not a big bug?

Regards,
Imran

Submitted by PI-Yoda on 11/10/2019

Hi Imran,
The Info in DER-430 drags your attention to the fact that is some conditions the circuit will enter CCM operation.
The value of the KP(current continuity factor) is very close to 1; PK=1 is boundary mode.
If you do have your own, particular reason you design to stay unconditionally in DCM than in next column is provided information about the places and the direction of changes needs to be done to drop KP value.
"Increase Cin, decrease DCON or use larger LYTSwitch-2 device"
Regards,

Submitted by imranahmed on 11/12/2019

Dear PI-Yoda,

Thank you for reply.

Please let me know which one is better for power supply CCM mode or DCM mode?

Regards,
Imran.

Attachment Size
CCM-DCM_Kp.png 176.7 KB
Submitted by PI-Yoda on 11/13/2019

Hi Imran, unfortunately there is no simple answer to your question, it is quite a topic.
The devil is in the details of the spec, objectives and design trade-offs. Using one of the modes is mostly aimed for achieving a particular tight target of the spec and usually goes with compromises in another area.
Without a deep knowledge over the impact of the current continuity over every aspect of performance my advice is to stick to overall average good design of Boundary Mode KP=1 (full load).
It is the same as the DER suggestion.

Best Regards,

Submitted by imranahmed on 11/20/2019

Dear PI-Yoda,

I want to add 3.3V winding in DER-403, please let me provide suggestion.

Regards,
Imran