Solution Finder Get Tech Support

TOPSwitch current output higher than 12A

Posted by: diegosoares90ml on

Hello, could someone please if its possible to use some output with a current higher than 12 A? I'm trying to build a power supply with 9V / 15A, the TOP261 can achieve the power, but the PI Expert doesn't allow to put a current higher than 12A. Can someone explain me if its a tool problem or a limit in this component? Thanks

Comments

Submitted by PI-DATA on 01/30/2018

Hi,
Please try PIXLS rather than PI Expert. At create design you would choose TopswitchHX and chose PIXLS. You can input all necessary specs at the table. I tried input your specs 85-265Vac. Be sure to input proper input cap value (Cin=270uF). Use Top261EN and use transformer with highest size on the choices or you can input custom. If you have any warning, just follow the suggestion until you come up with your optimum design.

Submitted by Easy Peasy on 02/17/2018

For currents higher than about 8A - an interleaved Tx design is really needed to lower leakage.

Submitted by Easy Peasy on 02/19/2018

For 12A out in a DCM/BCM design, the diode sees 48A peak, so a good diode needed that is well heatsunk.

Better to have 3 x o/p windings at 4A each, with their own diodes and snubbers, this reduces the leakage effect on the sec side

Submitted by PI-DATA on 02/23/2018

If you still have question please let us know.
Regards