Solution Finder Get Tech Support

36 to 276 Vac input range supply

Posted by: dalfonso on

I have an ultra wide range input application requiring a 12V & 1,5A output from a 36 to 276 Vac input line.

Is there any applications information (ICs, application/technical notes, past designs, software, etc.) that I might take advantage of to get this done? (PIExpert software is out of question since the input line get out of the predefined possible ranges)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

Submitted by dalfonso on 01/28/2010

Hi again,

I was wondering if I can use a start-up circuit to fed a constant current into the BYPASS pin of a TNY280PN to be operative within the full input range (36Vac to 276Vac) and be working at full power (18W). Is there any issue to implement that?

Following this, I was thinking to integrate the start-up circuit from the "DI-152 Design Idea" within the "DER-228 Design Example Report". Is it feasible?

Thanks in advance once more.

Submitted by VCastrellon on 01/28/2010

It is possible to combine both circuits but the problem is that the supply does not deliver the PO at minimum input voltage. It is possible to implement the solution with a buck converter if your design does not need isolation from AC line. Do you need isolation?

Submitted by Piyush N Waghmare on 01/28/2010

Dear Friend
It is diffcult to say whether you will achieve such a wide rage or not,but of-course you can try by feeding the constant current in to bypass pin of device by using current regulator didoe, confirm that the diode use will be sustaine the high voltage.
Regards
Piyush
India

Submitted by dalfonso on 01/29/2010

Hi PI-Worf,

What kind of buck converter you are refering to? Any design exemple within the reference designs?

I was thinking as well on the TOPSwhich-GX/HX families keeping a flyback topology (TOP249/TOP259 for instances). I saw on their specifications that the drain supply minimum voltage is specified at 36Vdc and even there is a note below on each spec (E) that we can have even lower voltages (36Vac input voltage already).
How we can assure a full output power with the lower input voltages (from 36 Vac). Any guidelines on this?

Thanks in advance.

Submitted by VCastrellon on 02/01/2010

We do not have any buck converter example using TOPswitch devices posted in our design examples. So I think the best option for you is to implement the solution using TOPswitch device in a flyback design. You can use PI expert (use the PIXLS option) PI expert is a program to help you with your deign. It is free and you can download it from Power Integrations page. I think TOP257YN is a good option to start with your design. Hope this information will be helpful to you. PI-Worf

Submitted by nrgntt on 03/24/2010

Hello, I'am interested in your project, you managed to achieve it? You can send the schematic diagram in pdf?