Solution Finder Get Tech Support

-2000VDC High Voltage Power Supply Design

Posted by: saryamane on

Hello,

I want to design a compact and stable High Voltage Power Supply with a output Voltage of -2.2KVDC at 5mA from a Universal I/p of 85-265VAC. The Output is required to be varied from -500VDC to -2.2KVDC.

I have been tryingto build the same with the PIEXPERT but none of the device looks like it supports the same. I have tried doing it in the PI XLS with some success using Tiny III in increased current sense mode but I Still have some doubts on the implementation.

My requirement has only one single Negative Output which has to be regulated. I don't need any other output than this one. Please suggest a suitable solution with the right device Selection.

Samir Aryamane

Comments

Submitted by PI-Spock on 07/10/2009

First of all I must confess I do not have experience creating such a high voltage at the output of a offline flyback design.

That been said here are a few challenges that I foresee
1) the output diode will have to be rated such that I can withstand the reverse voltage. Ususlly higher voltage diodes have poor reverse recovery time... I would therefore design the supply to operate strictly in the discontinuous mode (KP>1)
2) PIXls can allow you to design for this spec. There will be warnings for VDRAIN being exceeded or PIV of the secondary diode being exceeded but you can ignore that.
3) At such high voltages I am sure there will be different safety aganecy guidelines as to the separation between primary and secondary of the transformer... make sure you are well conversant with them.

Good luck