Solution Finder Get Tech Support

Can I use Hiper-4 as a power supply for my circuit? Yes/No

Posted by: IceCool on

I want to feed a a circuit I created ~400V DC with 0.75-0.95 ampere variable current.

Can I use HiperPFS-4 to achieve this?

Comments

Submitted by PI-Wrench on 03/10/2020

Your previous requirement was 200-400VDC from a high line (180-265VAC) source. Since the PFS series uses a boost converter topology, the 200V output would not be possible from a high line input. If you opt for just a 400V output, the problem would be that the circuit is not isolated, from the AC line, so there would be safety issues with with the lack of isolation and the high DC output voltage. Since there is a direct connection from the rectified DC input to the output with a boost converter, the only protection in case of an output short circuit would be the AC line fuse.

A better approach would be a PFS front end followed by an LCS DC-DC converter, which will provide primary to secondary isolation. It may also be possible to use the LCS without the PFS front end, but the output power capability would be less because of the variable B+ voltage feeding the LCS DC-DC converter.

Submitted by IceCool on 03/10/2020

I see, so it is possible, but doesn't offer any protection from a short circuit. Which could create a spike, which could ruin electronics running on the same high line.

I'm very worried about short circuits, as 400 volts is pretty high, and DC current is much more hazardous than AC to humans. Would you recommend any sort of protective measures? I'm worried about efficiency so I run all my circuit in series, I'm not really used to working with high voltages, and I'm deathly afraid of something bad happening.

I can't seem to find any numbers on the efficiency in your HiperLCS datasheet, all it says is that it's 'high efficiency'. Could you give any estimate of power losses, assuming I use an adequate inductive coupler?

I assume this is a matter of public regulation of spike/disturbance protection in electronics, is that correct?

Also, I'm sure I could find this in the datasheet, but how do I manipulate the power out values to produce variable current/power?

Submitted by PI-Wrench on 03/11/2020

LCS can easily do 90+ percent efficiency, depending on the power level and output voltage. Efficiency for this particular application would probably be ~ 93-94%..What is your end application that requires 400V with variable current limit?