Solution Finder Get Tech Support

Suggest best IC for Universal AC input with 150W 50V out

Posted by: mholt on

I have a battery charger circuit that needs to be supplied with 2 Amps 50VDC from America's 120VAC 60Hz OR European's 220V 50Hz. I'd like at least about 50% overhead, so I'd like 150 Watts out.

What is the best chipset to use for this? Low cost and small footprints are important because space is limited in this design.

I'm thinking either PFS7526H, LCS703HG or TOP262EN. Can you suggest if there is a better product to use?

Thanks,
Monnie Holt, P.E.

Comments

Submitted by PI-LeoDavinci on 09/19/2017

Hi Mholt,

Good day. Thank you very much for considering Power Integrations product. Based on your specification and design, below are my comments:

PFS7526H - This product is normally for BOOST application and therefore will not be suitable for your design.
LCS703HG - This product may cater your power requirement however the voltage input for this one is normally DC at 380VDC (typical). Therefore you will be needing a boost circuit coming from a 120VAC line. Normally this is partnered with PFS products.
TOP262EN - This product can cater your requirement cost effectivelyand space wise since such series uses flyback configuration.

Other family aside from PFS and LCS are limited in power capability. Therefore for your application, TOPSwitch is the suitable choice. Hope this helps. As for reference designs you may want to consider the example from the link below:

https://ac-dc.power.com/design-support/reference-designs/design-examples/der-218-100-w-refrigeration-power-supply/

You just have to modify the design for one output according to your specification. Such example can be a good reference as well as starting point. Thank you very much.

Leo

Submitted by mholt on 09/19/2017

Thanks, Leo! I used the online app to design using the TOP262EN. That's a very nice online tool, by the way.

A couple of questions...
1) The online tool suggested to use a TO-220 heatsink with thie TOP262EN part, but the TOP262EN part is NOT a TO-220. Will it still work effectively?

2) Does PI suggest to use as a thermal paste, or thermal pad?

3) For designing a buck converter, for example, there are certain high current switching loop areas that one should ensure are as small as possible. I've never designed a flyback converter before. Does PI have a PCB design guideline for flyback converters? I want to make sure any switching loop areas are reduced. I attached the schematic that was generated from the online tool. If you could suggest the high current/high frequency current paths that would be very helpful for me!

Thank you for your support!

Monnie Holt, P.E.

Attachment Size
Schematic Generated from Online Tool 266.32 KB
Submitted by mholt on 09/21/2017

I want to apologize for the questions. Your online tool and documentation actually took care for all of the questions I had. You guys are very close to designing the engineer out of the job with your online tool ;-)

NO MORE QUESTIONS :-)

Submitted by PI-LeoDavinci on 09/22/2017

Hi Mholt,

Great to hear that. More power. :)

Regards,

Leo