LN

Posted by: kurt2134124 on

Hi,

Regards,
Kurt

Comments

Submitted by PI-Mallora on 07/17/2017

Hi Karthik Hosavaranchi

Thank you for using Power Integrations' part.
Regarding your questions, below are my answers with the best of my knowledge.
1. Can we use this in flyback configuration with a coupled inductor?
> Yes you can do that for an isolated output. The regulation is just not that good but if it is accepatable or you have post regulator, you're good to go.
2. What should be the minimum load required on the primary output?
> 3mA is the recommended load to eliminate pulse bunching which is causing high output ripple like sawtooth.
3. Secondary out be able to deliver the output with out primary current being drawn?
> Definitely, since the secondary is also reflected on the primary. As I have said, the regulation might not be that good since your feedback is on the primary.
Hopefully it helps and I'm wishing the success of your project. May I know what is the application of your design? Thank you.

Thanks, Mallora. I will update your results.

but what should be my inductance? I had 1mH for the normal buck. Do I need to change it or have each of the primary and secondary 1mH?

Hi khosavaranchi,

You only need the primary inductance for your design. For the inducatance value, just have your computation based on normal buck with your input and output specification. Then have your secondary winding turns based on your required output voltage. For your convenience and for all your future power supply design needs, you can use our PI-Expert tools from below link to compute for your transformer and winding construction guide. It will also give you the schematic, BOM and layout recommendations.

https://ac-dc.power.com/design-support/pi-expert/