Lead-free packages offered by Power Integrations feature lead-free solder finish using 100% matte tin (Sn). The lead-free packages meet the requirements of the European law on the Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS), which mandates the removal of lead and other hazardous substances cited in the directive. All lead-free products have passed qualification testing for moisture sensitivity, solderability, and whisker growth. The lead-free surface mount products also comply with the joint IPC/JEDEC industry standard on reflow solderability (J-STD-020C).
(Read Power Integrations' RoHS/REACH Compliant and Halogen Free Statement.)
Products with a lead-free finish are designated by an N-suffix to the package type in the order number and are available at no additional cost. Lead-free finish packages are PN (DIP-8), FN (TO-262), YN (TO-220), and GN (SMD-8).
* Note: Products are designated as Lead (Pb)-Free if they meet the following definition: "Components in which the lead (Pb) level in any of the homogeneous materials and the end product is less than 0.1% by weight."
1. Why does Power Integrations (PI) offer lead-free products?
2. Are PI's lead-free components compliant with the RoHS directive?
3. What lead-free products are available?
4. How do I get lead-free samples?
5. What is being used in place of lead (Pb) in the lead frame?
6. Are there any other differences between the lead-free and non-lead-free products?
7. How do you identify Power Integrations lead-free products?
8. Will lead-free products solder in a standard solder process? (Are lead-free products backwards compatible?)
9. Where can I find the wave solder and reflow profiles?
10. Have the lead-free products passed whisker evaluation testing?
Q1. Why does Power Integrations (PI) offer lead-free products?
A1. Power Integrations is committed to providing environmentally sound solutions. Legislative mandates and market demand are restricting the use of lead (Pb) in semiconductor products. Lead has come under scrutiny because of the potential hazardous effects from lead-poisoning.
Q4. How do I get lead-free samples?
A4. To request lead-free samples, please contact your local sales representative . Ordering information can be found in most PI data sheets or refer to IC Part Ordering Information .
Q8. Will PI lead-free products solder in a standard solder process? (Are PI lead-free products backwards compatible?)
A8. Yes, for wave soldering of Y, P and F packages, and re-flow soldering of G packages. Lead-free products are backwards compatible and may be used in a leaded-process.
Q9. Where can wave solder and reflow profiles be found?
A9. Wave solder and reflow profiles can be found in the Package Section of the Power Integrations Databook or downloaded here .
Q10. Have the lead-free products passed whisker evaluation testing?
A10. Yes. For a detailed report, please contact your local sales representative.